Thursday, July 25, 2019

Running a procedure from a screen trigger

My experience of Priority version 18.2 is that whenever I do any screen programming such as adding a field to a form or debugging a trigger, other users get an ugly error message on their screens which they promptly send to me. As a result, I have stopped doing such programming during the day (although I often prepare triggers in Notepad so that I can copy them later on).

In an attempt to improve the situation, I wrote a minimal trigger which then calls an external procedure (this was hinted at in an earlier post). This technique allows me to make changes in the procedure without updating the screen and so is very useful.

Of course, these procedures work when I run them, but it transpires that users have problems with them - they are lacking the required permission to run the procedure. There is a simple solution to this which I have to remember: the procedure has to be added to a menu and the users have to have permission to this menu option.

No comments: