Saturday, July 06, 2019

New chicken dish (at least, for me)

I generally pride myself on cooking efficiently, getting everything organised so that preparation time will be a minimum. I don't know what happened today, but I prepared a new dish in the worst possible order.

The dish is 'chicken portions with sweet potatoes': done properly, one slices sweet potatoes, puts them on the bottom of a baking dish, lays on top of them chicken portions and finally one pours over the chicken a marinade made of olive (or canola) oil, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and fig sauce.

But no: first I made the marinade in the baking dish, then added the chicken portions and rolled them in the marinade. I covered the dish then placed it in the fridge for about two hours (during which I swam for an hour). After showering from the swimming, I cut an onion into strips, peeled the sweet potatoes and sliced them, and also sliced some pumpkin. I mixed the vegetables with some canola, then placed them in the baking dish. I had to move the chicken portions out of the way so that I could place the vegetables at the bottom and then lay the chicken portions on top. I covered the dish with aluminium foil then placed it in the oven for an hour at 200ºC; then I'll remove the foil and reduce the heat to 150ºC for about half an hour. In the mean time, I can make mashed potatoes.

If the dish is successful and I decide to cook it again (this is dependent somewhat on the quality of the sweet potatoes), then I'll try to prepare it in the correct order.


Above is the chicken after having been cooked. Everyone said that it was very tasty so I'll add this dish to the repertoire. I'll use pumpkin if there are no sweet potatoes, and probably make a little less marinade.

No comments: