Sunday, July 07, 2019

Changes in the music room

Previous photographs of my music room have shown a semi acoustic bass guitar, similar to the one used by Paul McCartney in The Beatles. I have noticed over the months that there is a widening gap between the back the guitar and the body - the guitar is literally falling apart. Since there was no damage done to the guitar in the 30+ years in which it was stored under my bed, I can only conclude that hanging it on the wall is deleterious.

I took down the guitar and replaced it with my Athenian bouzouki, which looks incredibly small when hung. We have added to the wall another Greek instrument, the lyre, which I bought recently from ... China. The lyre comes with a case, a tuning key and instructions: I tried tuning the strings, but the second string from the left 'refuses' to tune: I may have to add a shim to the tuning peg if I seriously want to tune it. Probably not.



I have also noticed that the 'sustain' pedal of the piano seems to be continually 'on', even though I'm not touching it. We definitely have to get someone to tune the piano, and the pedal can be fixed at the same time.

No comments: