Friday, July 19, 2019

Making the Greece holiday video

The OP is on holiday (again) so I have time on Fridays for my personal projects: the major one is completion of the video of our Greek holiday. I had worked on this in the past as the Andros section was complete; over the past few days I have completed the Athens/Delphi section. I am making the video by means of the program Movie Maker (MM), which works well when a video is only a few minutes in length, but slows down tremendously when working with a long video. The Greece video is just short of an hour in length, so progress in the past few days has been tortuous.

I discovered a new technique with this program - fading the audio track. In one of my previous holiday versions, I created and edited the audio clips outside of MM, trying to ensure that they were of the correct length. Today I found out how to do this within MM: one has to split the audio at the place where the fade is to begin, then marks the split portion as 'fade out' (or in). This was necessary as the pieces of music didn't match well with the video.

For the first twenty plus minutes (the entire Andros section), I used traditional Greek music featuring the bouzouki. I had to search quite hard to find something which wasn't fast and rhythmic. The Mars Hill section naturally has a soundtrack of hang drum; the changing of the guard, Segway and Delphi sections have a soundtrack of traditional lyre music.

No comments: