Friday, July 26, 2019

Smart watch? I call it 'stupid watch'

I ordered via the Internet for about $5 this soi disant 'smart' watch  which arrived a few days ago. Since then I have been scratching my head in order to discover how to charge the internal battery: the instructions say to separate the strap from the watch itself, which will reveal a USB plug. I did this, but the revealed 'plug' seemed somewhat unusual and was also at a strange angle which made fitting it into a computer USB port problematic. Today I finally figured out how to charge the battery, and after an hour or two, I was finally able to turn the watch on.

Originally the watch showed the time 00:00, but at some stage it managed to synchronise itself, so it is now showing the correct time and date. The skimpy instructions said to download a specific app on one's smart phone then to bind the watch to the phone via Bluetooth. So far, so good. It might well be that this binding caused the watch's hour to synchronise.

Apart from that, there has been virtually no contact between the watch and the phone. At one stage I accessed the 'healthy menu' on the watch which supposedly showed my pulse, blood pressure and oxygenation level (and broadcast them to the phone) but I take those values with a grain of salt. These values have been transferred only once. I've just come back from a dog walk which the phone reports as about 2000 steps but the watch seems blissfully unaware of this. Via the 'sports menu' I activated the 'walking' option but it seems not to recognise my steps. 

I bought the watch primarily in order to measure something about my swimming. If the walking is any indication, then I'm not going to get any information about the swimming either. As this watch is a no-name brand, there's no specific place from which I can get more detailed information. Maybe it will be like my mp3 player which has a terrible user interface but works well when one understands (or figures out by serendipity) how to use it.

Presumably I had high expectations which have not been matched. What do you expect for $5?

No comments: