Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Losing weight

Although I have hinted in the past few months that I have been losing weight, I haven't made a clear statement on the subject.

On 8 Feb 2019 I weighed 83.0 kg and on 15 March I weighed 82.8 kg: I thought that this was the heaviest I have ever been but checking my records, I see that on 4 Oct 2013 I apparently weighed 85 kg! Obviously I must have done some dieting for my weight went down to 78.5 kg by 31 May 2014.

This morning I weighed myself and apparently I now weigh only 77.9 kg which means that I have lost 5 kg since February. My BMI is now less than 30 which is very good news. I wonder how much more weight I can lose ... and not regain.

Over the past few weeks, I have been slowly extending the distance that I walk in the evenings (or early Friday and Saturday mornings): on Sunday and Tuesday I walked just over 4 km in around 40 minutes, a pace of 10 minutes/km or 6 km/hour. This is on roads, including going up and down a hill, so there is more effort required than walking on the level for the same distance. I would have walked on Monday as well, but at around 2:30 pm I was suddenly struck by a headache and felt out of focus all afternoon and evening. I don't know whether it was a migraine as paracetamol seemed sufficient to take away the pain. I didn't go swimming on Saturday either as I woke up late (for me - 7:15 am) and was dopey until about 10 am. Obviously the body needs some rest.

All this is very good. I don't get a "walker's high" (i.e. release of endorphins) which is a shame: by the time I get home, my shirt is wet with sweat and I am breathing heavily. I drink a few glasses of cold water (calorie free!) to help me get my breath back. The dog breathes heavily as well.

No comments: