Monday, July 01, 2019

Road 38 update

I wrote just under two years ago about the route from my home to work. At first, I enjoyed the ride to and from work, but after a while I discovered a problem when riding to work: both the main exit from the kibbutz and the side exit (which I usually take) interface with road 38 via traffic lights. These are 'clever' traffic lights in that they check whether there is traffic waiting for a green light, then change appropriately. My motorbike does not trigger this check, so it often happens that I will arrive at the traffic lights then wait - sometimes three cycles, or maybe five minutes - until a lorry or another car will pull up next to me and force the lights to change.

I discovered a few days ago that the 'back road which meanders through areas set aside for new industrial areas' has been greatly improved in the past year: there are new roads in the area and all of them have good surfaces. So yesterday morning, I set off through the side exit to the kibbutz and continued on these back roads. I reckon that I saved about five minutes on the trip - this may not sound much, but the entire trip takes only about five minutes! - and the ride was much more pleasant that being on the main road and having to 'duke it out' with lorries, buses and cars. 

Unfortunately I haven't been able to repeat this trip as there have been electricity problems which have caused the electric gate on the side exit to malfunction. Returning home isn't a problem anyway as I don't have to wait for any traffic lights. I will be travelling tomorrow and the day after, but I am looking forward to driving on these new roads on Thursday - and especially Friday (less traffic on the roads means waiting longer at the traffic lights).

No comments: