Sunday, March 03, 2024

Looking for his tribe (new song)

On Friday, the stars aligned or at least I was in a suitable frame of mind that enabled me to write the words to the song whose music I wrote at the beginning of February. As I wrote here the other day, the quote about living in a bubble (from book 5 of the Dublin Murder Squad) gave me the initial inspiration; this joined forces along with a similar idea that I had several months ago about someone looking for his tribe. I wouldn't say that the words flew out of me: they required some work, both in capturing the rhythm of the tune and in finding rhymes (there aren't many suitable rhymes for 'world' and 'companionship'). 

The lyrics start with a sort of non sequitur that sets up the song:

She turned her head to hear his words
He spoke so softly next to her
He told her of his early life
He spent them looking for his tribe
Once found, they became all his world
Friends, brothers, they were his to hold
Like a bubble from some fragrant soap
They gave him strength, they gave him hope

Here we have the key words, 'bubble' and 'tribe'. In the second verse the bubble bursts (of course), introducing conflict into the story and the third verse has resolution. I'm not going to quote the entire song but the idea is clear.

On Saturday, I thought that I would record guitar parts for the song: two takes of fingerpicked guitar, one with chorus and one with octave pedal. But upon listening to the playback, I am strongly considering ditching them as they are messy and hinder more than they help. This is especially clear when considering how much time and deliberation I spent on the MIDI tracks, compared with how much time I spent on the guitar tracks. I am leaning to the opinion that a simple one chord strum per bar is what is required for the first verse - and that's all.



This day in history:

Blog # Date Title Tags
26 03/03/2006 Watching sports Maccabi Tel Aviv, Milton family
160 03/03/2009 Share with you (story of a complex arrangement) MIDI, Reason
339 03/03/2011 Coincidences MBA, Peter Hammill, Marketing
458 03/03/2012 Incremental search in a combo box Programming, Delphi, Combo box
1294 03/03/2020 Sending a report via email in English (Priority) Priority tips

No comments: