Wednesday, February 28, 2024

The Dublin Murder Squad, continued

Buried in the middle of book five of the Dublin Murder Squad series, "The secret place", was this gem: If you make friends inside some bubble that’s going to burst on you in a couple of years – like training, or like here – you’re an idiot. You start thinking that’s the whole world, nowhere else exists, then you end up with all this hysterical shite (Chapter 17). The direct reference is to friendships made between girls at an all-girls boarding school, but it also refers to police training college (one of the detectives is talking to the other about their mutual training when she makes that statement about bubbles).

And yes, it can also been seen as referring to my adolescent years. Whilst I didn't have any real friends at grammar school (apart from Robert, and we'd been friends from primary school), it certainly refers to the bubble of Habonim. Yes, I lived in a bubble and the only meaningful relationships that I had were in that bubble ... and then the bubble burst.

This is the added value that these books bring. And this may be the cue for writing words for the song that I started at the beginning of the year.

If I'm writing about songs, then I should mention that I started playing something on the piano the other day, a tune in the key of F# minor. It started with an F#m7 chord in third inversion (i.e. E F# A C#), then the E dropped down to the D, resulting in a DMaj7 chord. A bit later on, I found myself playing a most peculiar chord, voiced D F# G# B - technically this can be seen as a D6b5 chord, but I doubt that anyone would call it this. A better name would be Bm6, first inversion, and another possible name would be Gm7b5, second inversion. Whatever. This chord resolves very nicely to C#7sus4, simply by dropping the D down a semitone to C#, and then the F# (the suspended fourth) can drop down a semitone to F (or rather E#) to create a C#7, that is of course the dominant seventh of F# minor. Maybe it was the slightly unfamiliar key that didn't allow me to recognise the chords straight away. I started sequencing the fragment that I played but only had sufficient time to transcribe the chords and the initial melody idea. This may turn into the verse of a song.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
23528/02/2010Still working even when feeling lousyProgramming, Organisation behaviour, Blood pressure
45728/02/2012Sequencing "Lost"Van der Graaf Generator, Peter Hammill, Reason, MDI
55228/02/2013Sansa clip+ mp3 playerMP3

No comments: