Saturday, February 03, 2024

Once again, a new song

For a change, I didn't have anything to do today (Saturday), so I thought that I would utilise the time to write a song. I took my trusty Washburn guitar, played around a little, and within 15 minutes I had the basis of a verse. Of course, when I came to transcribe and sequence the verse, I realised that it was a bit short and that I needed to add a little more. Once I had the verse, I found myself adding an introduction, a link between the first and second verses and a break that included a subtle modulation. Then came a simple middle eight in a new key ... and then I was stuck - how was I going to continue?

I may have downed tools at this point and taken the dog for a walk. I had determined that I wanted to use a standard structure of verse, verse, middle eight, instrumental verse, middle eight, verse, but that modulation had made things complicated. Where and what should I change so that the middle eight and final verse come out in the original key? Eventually I found the answer: have the instrumental verse in the modulated key, then subtly change the sequence at the end in order to have the middle eight. Then I added an extra bar after the second middle eight in order to ease the transition back into the original key.

As I wrote the song on the guitar, I realised that I should play fingerpicked guitar on the recording (when I get that far); this is something that I can't sequence and would sound much more natural if played in real time. This of course assumes that I don't transpose the entire song to make it easier to sing; I think that my range will be suitable. In fact, I could play guitar throughout the entire song, although I'm not too sure whether this would be a good idea, as I like to make changes in the instrumental texture. I don't have to fingerpick the entire song - I can 'lay out' here and there, and play single chords in the middle eights.

No words, of course, and no ideas. These will come in the future.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
54503/02/2013The twins came to visit yesterdayUncle
67203/02/2014Philip Seymour HoffmanFilms, Obituary
80203/02/2015End of an eraPersonal
92403/02/2016Problems with bloggingMeta-blogging

No comments: