Thursday, March 03, 2011

Coincidences

I wrote the other day regarding my upcoming exam, "It's all a matter of confidence"; it only occurred to me this morning that I had stumbled upon a coincidence.

The final lecture in the marketing course was held on Monday evening, and as usual, I selected a few cds to play in the car whilst travelling to and fro. This time I picked "As close as this" by Peter Hammill, a very solo record from the late 80s, in which he promised that the music was played by "one pass of the hands".

One of the tracks, probably the most outstanding in terms of performance, is called "Confidence"!


Behind the smile of confidence
somewhere you'll find the wanted man
blank-faced and wary of conversation with himself.
Around the ring of confidence
they're dancing to a different tune;
the others seem so confident, why don't you take a leaf
from the storm we're passing through?
In confidence we sail across the seven seas
to hide behind the veil - in confidence the key!
'I'm in good form, I'm feeling fine,'
responsibly how well you do -
there's nothing I can say about
the usual cocktail of public faith and private taboo.
In confidence the trick is there for all to see -
In confidence the key!

Unfortunately, I don't have "the smile of confidence" this time around.

No comments: