Saturday, March 23, 2024

Looking for his tribe - revisions

I thought that I would look for my video of 'Looking for his tribe' on YouTube. In the search box, I entered the song's name: I found my video, along with a few others of similar name. 

The video of 'Searching for my tribe' by Selwyn Birchwood left me somewhat bemused as this features a young lady with a prominent bust who apparently sings in a male's bass voice. She also can't play the guitar, which is when I realised that this lady is simply miming. The song itself is a fairly standard blues; there's only so much of this that I can take, not withstanding the lady's bust.

The author writes as an explanation: "I had always been a loner from a very young age. At 19 years old, I discovered an entire world of blues music that felt like 'home'. I knew then where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do. Just when I thought I had found my place in the sun, it appears as though all of the people and sounds that brought me in have been replaced with other trends." Sounds familiar. 

Another video that was found is 'A Tribe of People Are Looking for Your Music!' by the same person who has a series of videos explaining how to play ambient guitar. This is a talk-only video explaining how to grow one's audience.

But back to my video: although the most of the song is good, I cringed at the performance of the opening line. To be honest, I have never been happy with the way this line was sung but I had let it drift. This time I decided to do something about it. I connected my microphone to the computer, warmed up a little than sang the first line onto a new track. Normally I would have silenced the first line in the original vocal then mixed that track and the new one together, creating a composite vocal - as I did originally - but as I needed to replace the first line only, I thought it easier to cut out the first 5.3 seconds of the original file and paste in 5.3 seconds of the new vocal. I had to change the volume somewhat in order to match the original vocal's volume, but once that was done, the editing was invisible. I then had to mix the song once again, then create an mp3 file then remove the original soundtrack from the video and paste in the new one..... I deleted the original video from YouTube and uploaded the new one, so the link has changed. Quite possibly I could have uploaded the new video that would have replaced the original but this option was not documented.


Naturally I spent a lot of time yesterday working on computers.The first thing that I did was to download an offline installer for Firefox onto my work computer, then via a diskonkey transferred this to the broken computer. I was able to install Firefox but not access all the bookmarks. Undeterred, I exported the bookmarks on my work computer (these comprise about 75% of my current bookmarks), transferred these to the broken computer and imported them.

Chrome, AnyDesk and the backup synchroniser are still not working, and the disk frequently goes to 100% usage, but at least there is an improvement. I've been happily typing away for the past ten minutes with no problems, but of course, Blogger doesn't access the disk. Starting programs is a slow process, but once they are loaded, they work almost normally. Even so, I'll take the computer to my repair man on Sunday and see what he can do.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
Title Tags
122 23/03/2008
Clarification Programming, Literature
817 23/03/2015
Breaking radio silence ERP, DBA
934 23/03/2016
Composing a bolero Health, MIDI
1115 23/03/2018
Egged tales (more stories from 40 years ago) Personal, Habonim, 1978
1205 23/03/2019
Wake up call Health
1301 23/03/2020
Days of Corona DBA, Israel, Grandfather, John Le Carre, Covid-19
1483 23/03/2022
My first year as a Londoner, part 3 - "The cellar" Personal, 1974

No comments: