Thursday, March 21, 2024

Spring equinox

Two days ago (Tuesday) we had thunderstorms and rain all day long - in total, 29 mm rain fell in less than 24 hours: a good amount. A tremendous clap of thunder woke me just before 4 am, and although I fell back asleep, it wasn't a deep sleep and I could hear the rain outside. By evening, though, the rain had stopped and the skies were clear. Wednesday had clear skies and warm weather during the day, but chilly before dawn and after sunset. Today - Thursday - it's bright and warm. I didn't wear a coat when taking the dog for her walk early morning, and I've just returned from picking up a parcel, wearing only a shirt and trousers. A complete change-around in the weather in time for the spring equinox.

At home, the last two days have been very problematic for my main computer; it has been running extremely slowly and when I look at the task manager, I can see that there is 100% disk usage. This, of course, makes running anything of the computer almost impossible. Fortunately I have my work mobile computer, so I have been working on this (and writing this blog). At first, I thought that the problem was with the synchronisation program to Mega; shutting this down seemed to help and yesterday evening, the computer was running almost normally. But again overnight the disk usage had gone back to 100%.

Could it be, I wondered, that a program that I installed a few days ago was causing this problem? I uninstalled what might be the offending program and again, it seemed that the problem had been alleviated. I ran a diagnostic program that found many problems, but it wouldn't fix any of them. I then restarted the computer only to receive a screen that no one ever wants to see: there was a problem rebooting Windows and the computer would not work at all. 

Frantic googling showed me how to restart the computer in recovery mode. This allowed me to run the program that should have restored the computer to how it was a few days ago. Unfortunately, this program exited, saying that there were problems and that it could not restore properly. With no option left, I rebooted the computer, intending to take it back into recovery mode and run the chkdsk program; I couldn't do this but fortunately the computer did this on its own. After about an hour (there were problems), the computer went into automatic repair mode and once again is rebooting the computer. 

As I write this, "diagnosing your PC" is displayed on the screen ... leading to the 'Automatic Repair' screen and the ominous message "Your PC did not start correctly". I going to try system restore again.  

< Two and a half hours pass >

System Restore says that it has restored the system to how it was 10 days ago. After rebooting and holding my breath, the computer restarted but it's still at 100% disk usage. After about an hour and a half the computer calmed down and it became possible to do some work with it. But Anydesk and Chrome seem to be damaged, so I'm having to finish this blog on my work computer, hence no 'today in history' for the time being ... maybe I'll add it later, assuming that I can get Chrome to work.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
12121/03/2008Literary allusionsERP, Literature, Satie, 1984
69021/03/2014Research questionnaire / 3DBA
93321/03/2016Zero values in Priority tables (2)Priority tips
148221/03/2022Severe stomach crampsHealth
159421/03/2023UN Happiness reportIsrael

No comments: