Thursday, October 12, 2023

A military funeral

I don't know how many funerals I have attended in my life: at least fifty, probably in excess of one hundred. But I have never attended a funeral like there was today, a military funeral.

Actually, that's not quite true. Sometime in October 1973, I and my group on Kibbutz Bet Ha'emek attended the funeral of a pilot who had been shot down during the war. I remember that I attended the funeral but I don't remember anything else about it.

There were hundreds of people at today's funeral, almost half of whom were in uniform. We heard how Lieutenant Sahar Tal was at home on Saturday morning before he received an urgent phone call to report for duty at Ashkelon immediately. We heard how his father and brother drove him to the meeting point and how he checked later on that they had arrived back home safely. We heard that Sahar was a model officer: shy and humble, but well liked, both by the ranks above him and by those he commanded.

Whilst the army funeral ceremony is somewhat different to the kibbutz version, there are several points of similarity. Even so, I think that we could adopt the final prayer that was sung with great feeling, instead of the same prayer simply read aloud. Then of course there is the three gun salute.

In a terrible sense of irony, an air raid siren (from nearby Bet Shemesh) rang out while we were waiting for the funeral to begin. We were directed to spread out in the cemetery and lie down with our hands over our heads. A moment later there was a loud boom as the rocket landed somewhere close; after a few minutes we were allowed up. A soldier who had laid down near me helped me get up.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
1812/10/2005The six ringsBar mitzva
29312/10/2010Cooking for GeeksCooking, Food science
51512/10/2012A new season, a new teamMaccabi Tel Aviv
63912/10/2013Sleep apneaHealth, CPAP, Apnea
108212/10/2017Madam SecretaryTV series
126412/10/2019Two (historical) events which I wish had never happenedIsrael, Gap year
134712/10/2020CardiologistHealth

No comments: