Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Communal grief (2)

Slightly less than a year ago, I wrote about the death of a young kibbutz member; yesterday we were informed that his grandfather, also a kibbutz member, had died. I had worked with the grandfather for several years until his retirement about ten years ago, aged 80. I remember that we held a retirement party for him, in which both people from the kibbutz and work participated. I was asked (in advance) to say a few words; I prepared a speech that was longer than required, as there was so much to say about this person. In the speech (whose text I cannot find), I compared him at one stage to being like a second father: his eldest daughter was born a week before I was, and he would always ask about my studies.

The path that I take in the early morning while walking the dog goes past this member's house. This morning I was thinking about what to write in his memory, and that the kibbutz was fortunate in that none of the outrageous acts of the Hamas terrorists over the past week had affected anyone here. How wrong can one be?

Barely ten minutes ago, a notice was posted on the kibbutz internet site informing us of the death of one of the kibbutz sons, who was serving in the army near Gaza. My wife works with the father of this soldier. I am numb.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
20711/10/2009This tickled my fancyDog
63811/10/2013More booksLiterature, Tom Clancy
108111/10/2017Research questionsDBA
134611/10/2020Continuing the story of porting an application to Windows 10/Delphi 10.2Programming, ClientDataSet
153511/10/2022Another DBA updateDBA

No comments: