Friday, October 02, 2020

Weight at the beginning of Oct 2020


I have been too embarrassed to write about my weight in the past few months. Despite all my walking and swimming, my weight has slowly been increasing over the past six months or so; maybe only 100g in a week, but always increasing. When it reached 80 kg a few weeks, I realised that I had to take action; I examined my diet to see what I could reduce. At first I thought it was the slice of bread with peanut butter that I would eat at 6:15 am that was intended to reduce pangs of hunger during the morning, so I cut out the peanut butter for a while - no difference. Even cutting out the bread made no difference.

Then the penny dropped: as a source of iron and other minerals, I have been eating a handful of raw almonds every day. As these aren't particularly tasty, I added another handful of cashew nuts: these two supplement each other very well in nutritional terms. Unfortunately they also contain no small amount of (good) oil and so they contribute quite a few calories to the diet.

Two weeks ago I stopped taking the nuts with me to work; my weight dropped by 400g last week and by another 700g this morning. Mission accomplished. Maybe I'll go back to eating raw almonds but I won't return to eating cashew nuts - these have salt or something added that always leaves me wanting to eat more (the same doesn't happen with almonds). Anyway, this morning my weight had dropped below 79 kg and I would very much like it to drop another 2 kg. This is definitely possible.....

I don't remember if I mentioned it here, but about a year ago I bought some 'almond butter' - the same as peanut butter but made from almonds. I don't think that I managed to eat more than one slice of bread with almond butter, it was so unpalatable. I used some whilst cooking, but most of the container found its way to the bin.

This weight loss has made me feel very happy and enthusiastic this morning.

No comments: