Tuesday, February 20, 2024

More guitar effects

As the late Jerry Pournelle would have written: Donny, the Donner octave pedal that I ordered via Amazon, arrived at Chaos Manor yesterday. The delivery was relatively quick and hassle-free - it's a shame that more deliveries aren't like this. On the other hand (sorry: as Pournelle would write, on the gripping hand), I did pay $15 for delivery ... or did I? The invoice included in the package states that there was use of a promotional certificate for $15, so the delivery was actually free. But first a report about the multi-effect pedal being used at band rehearsal.

During the exchange of messages enquiring as to whether we could have a session on Saturday night (at the moment we're playing once every two weeks and last Saturday was supposed to have been an 'off' night), I mentioned that I had a new toy to display. So everyone asked about the little pedal and were either impressed or amused by all the lights on it. Most of the time I was using one of the presets with chorus, although for a short solo I used another preset with a great deal of echo. This was fairly successful although sometimes I managed to get the pedal out of preset mode, so I had to turn it off and on again. The chorus sound is very trebly (as usual) so I turned down the tone knob on the guitar. I shall try to do more with the tone settings on the pedal and the amp.

And now to the harmonic square aka octave pedal. I should point out that the same pedal is available under the Mooer label; had I bought it in Israel, it would have cost about 300 NIS (including delivery) so I definitely saved money by buying from Amazon. Testing the pedal allowed me also to test the pedal power distributor: I had one cable from AC mains to the distributor, one cable from the distributor to the pedal, one cable from the guitar to the pedal and another cable from the pedal to the amplifier. Spaghetti time. I am pleased to say that the electricity side of the equation worked perfectly fine.

In advance I had already worked out four different modes of use for this pedal:
  1. Setting the wet and dry to 50%, the switch at the top to 'sharp' and the interval to one octave basically makes the guitar sound like a 12-string guitar, where every note played on the guitar is doubled an octave higher.
  2. As above, but setting the interval to 7 semitones (a perfect fith) is supposed to cause an E note to be doubled as a B. If I play an E chord, then the pedal will 'play' a B chord; the result should be an E Major 9th chord, namely E G# B D# F#. 
  3. Moving the switch at the top to its middle setting, detune, creates a chorus effect whose depth is dependent of the setting of the big knob.
  4. Setting the wet knob to 100% and the dry knob to 0% causes the pedal to act as a capo: if I move the middle knob to the '3 semitones' position, the top switch to sharp and play shapes in Am, it's as if I'm playing in Cm (this will be useful at Passover). Similarly, after moving the top switch to flat and the middle knob to '2 semitones', playing shapes in G will sound as if I am playing in F.
As with the multi-effects pedal, I'm not sure that my practice amp was the best option to test the capabilities of the pedal. For setting 1, I actually had both wet and dry signals to 100% and this seemed to overload the amp when playing chords; single notes were ok. Setting 2 didn't seem to work as I expected, although again this could be because of the level of the wet and dry settings combined with the amp. Option 3 worked fine as expected and so did option 4, although this was somewhat disconcerting as I could hear the acoustic sound of the guitar playing (for example) an Am chord whereas the amplifier was sounding a Cm chord. In a band setting this problem won't exist, but it might appear when playing at Passover.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the pedal although it apparently wasn't as good as I expected (especially for settings 1 and 2 when playing chords). The power supply problem is also slightly annoying, although this is expected to improve when the pedalboard that I ordered will arrive. Then I can set everything up properly. At some time in the future I will also order a tuner pedal that will sit neatly on the pedalboard.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
137620/02/2021Cormoran Strike (3)Cormoran Strike
137720/02/2021Winter comfort foodCooking

No comments: