Monday, January 30, 2023

Thesis status at the end of January - two months before the final submission date

About six weeks ago, I wrote about a new enhancement and how it can serve as a validating case study for my research. I concluded with the words at home I will be revising whatever needs to be rewritten in the thesis, and adding what needs to be added. I expect that everything will be over by the end of January.

Well, we're now at the end of January - actually the day before the end - and I have just uploaded a new version of the thesis for my supervisor to read. I would say that for the first three weeks after the previous blog, I didn't add very much to the thesis, but the past few weeks have seen a great deal of activity. The most important part of that activity was holding interviews - one with myself and two with members of the enhancement's steering committee. I was able to write these up very quickly; writing up my own interview took a bit longer, but I was also establishing the format so that I could paste the other interviewees' answers in very easily.

I had some technical problems in accessing the interview recordings that I partially documented in the thesis (this is all good meta-data). The first interview was held via Teams and lasted just under 18 minutes; when I came to listen to it and transcribe the answers, the interview cut off sharply at about 11:30 minutes. This means that answers to the final questions were not recorded. Fortunately I wrote up this part of the interview the day after it had occurred (coincidentally I had stopped the previous day just before the recording finished), so the answers were clear in my mind. Strangely, the same thing happened with the previous interview with this person: the last part of the conversation was not recorded.

Avoiding Teams, I conducted the second interview via telephone, recording the conversation. There were no problems with the file itself, but I had great difficulty in transferring the recording from my phone to my computer. After connecting the two with a USB cable, the computer would not recognise the existence of the phone, even though the latter device was charging via the cable. I have used the same cable to transfer songs from the computer to my wife's phone, so the cable is not the problem.

After trying a few approaches to get my computer to recognise the phone, I began to think of alternative strategies. First I found the file on the phone (via the 'My files' app) then looked at the various options available to handle the file. Fortunately I found the option to share the file with another application, so I was able to send myself an email with the file attached. Listening to the (now backed up) recording, there is heavy breathing every few seconds that probably comes from me breathing normally but onto the headset microphone. As I was writing up the interview shortly after it occurred, I wasn't too dependent on the recording, so the breathing didn't mask much of the conversation.

Let's see what the supervisor has to say.



This day in history:

Blog #DateTitleTags
32930/01/2011Sumptuous Sunday 5Cooking, Slow cooker
33030/01/2011MarketingMBA, Marketing
54330/01/2013Notes on 'The Fingertip effect" and ERPERP, DBA
119830/01/2019Yet another mp3 playermp3

No comments: