Saturday, January 07, 2023

Passports

Our Israeli passports will run out at the beginning of June 2023. I remember this date well as we had to renew our passports in a hurry ten years ago in order to travel to Spain and Britain. Five months in advance should be plenty of time, no? So I search for 'renew passport' on the Internet (in Hebrew, of course) and receive details of what I should do. The first step is to make an appointment for the local office that deals with passports, identity cards, etc. Since Covid-19, they have set up an appointments application easily accessible via the Internet.

The first available date for Bet Shemesh is ... 4 July! That can't be right! But, yes, it is: I have to make an appointment six months in advance! As one cannot use passports in the three months prior to their running out, and a new one could take as long as six weeks to arrive, this means that we cannot leave the country between the beginning of March and the middle of August. 

What does this mean if I am honoured to attend the degree ceremony in Edinburgh in June, should I be awarded my doctorate?

The website shows various locations and dates - I could make an appointment for Karmiel on 2 May, thus saving two months! As I and my wife travel half price on trains, this wouldn't cost very much. Unfortunately the website won't allow me to make multiple appointments. OK, I cancel Bet Shemesh and make an appointment for Karmiel.

Now we're set for 2 May... in Karmiel, with a 3 hour journey ahead of us (and 3 hours back). Even so, I'll check the website every day for cancellations in Bet Shemesh.

As for paying, if I do so before the end of February and via the website, the renewal will cost only 160 NIS. I understand that after February, it will cost 320 NIS, and paying in person is even more expensive. I believe that I can pay in advance, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.



This day in history:

Blog #DateTitleTags
53007/01/2013Recurring actors in long running TV showsTV series
91007/01/2016Vinyl log 25 - 3 JanuaryVinyl log, Jackson Browne
100007/01/20171000 blog entriesMeta-blogging
136907/01/2021I haven't disappearedDBA, Health
145607/01/2022Fourth time aroundCovid-19

No comments: