Monday, January 23, 2023

More David Crosby: Guinnevere

Some web pages devoted to this song:

A live performance

An analysis video

And not for the faint of heart, a tab. I can hear the transition between 4/4 and 3/4, but the transition into 11/8 eludes me for the time being.

Graham Nash's "guitar playing" in this video (and the one following, "The Lee Shore") reminds me of a story in his autobiography: 

One day, in February 1963, we finished a particularly energetic lunchtime show at the Cavern. The girls had left, the lights came up, and people were cleaning the place, picking up popcorn packages and cheese wrappers, wiping up piss. We were hauling our meager gear into the tiny side dressing room when a short, older man with glasses pushed his way into the cubicle. 

“I’m Ron Richards,” he said, thrusting out a hand. “I work at EMI and I liked your show. I especially liked the guy who was playing without any guitar strings.” 

Would the guilty party please step forward? Okay, that would be me. The night before, we had played at Colston Hall in Bristol, and during the show I’d broken my last string and couldn’t afford new ones. So I did the lunchtime show at the Cavern with my Harmony guitar—and no strings. What did it matter? Tony, Eric, and Don made up the Hollies’ dynamic rhythm section. I strummed along, except I didn’t plug in, so it didn’t make any difference whether I had strings on or not. Ron didn’t care. In fact, he found it intriguing. He loved our energy, and we’d gone down great. That was all he needed to make the next move. 

“I’d be very interested in recording you,” Ron said. “What do you think?”

Frequently I've seen videos/pictures of CSN where Graham is unencumbered with a guitar; presumably his instrumental capabilities were negligible to those of Stills, Crosby and Young.



This day in history:

Blog #DateTitleTags
32823/01/2011Sumptuous Sunday 4Cooking
54123/01/2013The simplest ideas are normally the bestERP, Problem solving
92023/01/2016Vinyl log 27 - 23 JanuaryVinyl log, 10cc
137123/01/2021Porting an application to Windows 10/Delphi 10.2 (part 3)Programming, Delphi, Unicode
137223/01/2021Porting an application to Windows 10/Delphi 10.2 (part 4)Programming, Delphi, Unicode

No comments: