Monday, December 09, 2013

Gymnopedie Number 3?

On Saturday, I saw Woody Allen's 1988 drama, "Another woman". I didn't enjoy the film very much - it looked incredibly dated - but my ears pricked up at the beginning when Satie's "Gymnopedie No. 1" was played at the beginning. This wasn't the simple piano version but rather Debussy's orchestration.

At the end of the film, the piece is credited as "Gymnopedie No. 3" and IMDB lists this as a goof. But further reading about these pieces reveals that in February 1897, Debussy orchestrated the Third and First, reversing the numbering. Thus it seems as if the film credits are correct: when played by an orchestra, the piece is called "Gymnopedie No. 3", but when played by solo piano, it is called "Gymnopedie No. 1".

I am going to stick with the original numbering: it makes life so much easier. If you are lucky, below will appear a media player which plays an edit of my syncopated version of "Gymnopedie No. 1": this edit serves as the ringtone on my mobile phone for unidentified callers.

No comments: