Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The guitar returns

I travelled yesterday morning to Tel Aviv in order to collect the Stagg Tele that had undergone its first setup1. The guitar looked cleaner and brighter than it did before the setup, so maybe they buffed the body as well as checking the mechanics. New strings gauge 10 were put on the guitar.

I had the chance to check the guitar out immediately as in the evening we had a rehearsal for New Years Eve, next week. I could feel the difference that the slightly heavier strings made - they were more resilient and not so loose. One of the songs that we are playing requires me to place a capo on the first fret; we're playing the song in Bbm and it's much more comfortable to play it as if it were in Am. Not only that, for this song I'm providing a heavily strum sound, as if I were playing an acoustic, and half barre chords don't sound so good in this context. I noticed after I removed the capo that one string was now out of tune; fortunately, this Bbm song is the final song so I won't have to retune before any other song.

Last year2 we played four songs, one of which is a 'traditional' New Year song ("12 months" written by Naomi Shemer) and three more modern songs. This year, we continue the tradition of the same New Year song and three new songs (i.e. not those that we played last year). Fortunately these songs are not as complicated as those from before so I won't need a music stand on stage.

The line up for this performance will be the two singers, bass and guitar from our musical group. Joining us is a guest keyboardist who is the partner of a kibbutz member; I don't know how permanent will be his presence in the kibbutz. He is a much better player than our current keyboardist so there may be some problems in the future. Our drummer will be unavailable so we may have a guest drummer.

Internal links
[1] 1818
[2] 1662



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
20225/09/2009
Defining my laptop computer's wireless IP settingsComputer
28625/09/2010
TerezinHoliday, Holocaust, Terezin
63425/09/2013
EmigrationIsrael, Kibbutz
117425/09/2018
It was 40 years ago todayIsrael, Personal
133925/09/2020
AccordionMusical instruments
153025/09/2022
Two filmsFilms
166725/09/2023
Emigration dayIsrael, Personal

No comments: