Thursday, September 14, 2023

A long, long day

Today started very early as usual with a walk around the kibbutz, giving the dog a chance to do whatever she needs to do. This was followed by a quick breakfast then into the car for a drive to Jerusalem. My wife had to undergo a removal of an internal cyst: not a big problem, but it had to be done under general anaesthetic, meaning that she had to spend the night in hospital for observation. This reminded me of any first day when I used to serve in the army reserves: hurry up and wait. That said, everyone in the hospital was very courteous and helpful, especially the two nurses in the recovery room.

After my wife was released from the recovery room, it was up to the ward: the 'new' wing of the hospital (it's been open for several years) offers single rooms to patients, including en suite bathroom, chairs and even a mattress where an accompanying person can sleep. After she settled in (no food or water, lest she become nauseous or aspirate), I was allowed to leave. I then drove to the music shop in central Jerusalem where I intended to buy the new Stagg guitar. It turns out that the shop is focused on drums and percussion instruments (a drum lesson was underway when I was there), but they also stock some guitars. 

I saw hanging on a wall the same model that I came to buy, but in a natural finish. The salesman said that he found this model at the same time as he found the black one, so he thought he'd bring it out and display it. The black guitar came in a cardboard box, accompanied by a guitar lead but no Allen key (for adjusting the neck) or any other accessories. First I checked the neck to see that it was straight, that the neck was bolted on properly, and that the frets were set correctly and were the right size. The guitar passed the physical tests. The intonation seems ok although there was some buzz when I played the bottom string on its own - I'll rub some graphite into the nut when I change strings, which will probably be soon.

I played the guitar for about half an hour, although only acoustically - there was no nearby amplifier and the salesman didn't provide one. I hope that the electrics are ok. That reminds me: the humbucker bridge pickup has plastic wrap on it that I should remove, although this shouldn't affect the sound.

From Jerusalem I drove home, had something to eat and drink then took the dog for a walk. Then it was down to the dining room air raid shelter for a final rehearsal for the New Year show. Once this was finished, we took the equipment - mainly the drum kit - up to the dining room and set up again. The guitars went through the PA system via DI boxes; the bass guitar was fine but my line didn't work. Eventually the guitar was heard, only for it to disappear then reappear then disappear. When we came to perform, I had to start the first song three times as twice the sound disappeared during the first line.

Again a huge sigh of relief when the show was over. Here's a video of one of the songs; someone was kind enough to film the songs, but for some reason I haven't been able to download the best song on to my computer. Maybe I'll succeed tomorrow.


And most importantly, 




This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
28114/09/2010A twilight health stageHealth
40514/09/2011Firebird DB managementProgramming, Delphi, Firebird
51014/09/2012Happy New Year!Jewish holidays
97414/09/2016Intermediate submission accepted!DBA

No comments: