Friday, August 02, 2024

Linda Lewis

Way back when in the early 1970s, there was a singer who I liked to hear, although generally her material wasn't too much to my taste - Linda Lewis. She died last year and her death sort of made the news. 

Several years ago, I found on YouTube a recording of what I consider to be her best song, "Rock a doodle doo". Unfortunately there were problems with the recording - what was stereo for the first minute suddenly collapsed into mono on the left hand side with nothing on the right. Completely by chance (I was looking for something completely different), I came across a remastered version of this song that has its stereo image corrected.

I have to admit that the lyrics are somewhat cringe inducing and hardly feminist. I've never looked before but I also found the actual (?) lyrics as well; some of them seem incomprehensible. I mean, what does Pop, a bumper, sevens and jeans even mean? This is followed by the sort of thoughts that an adolescent male might have, but not a grown up woman: You're always be in my dreams, You're next to ecstasy, Why don't you notice me? And also

'Cause I got a crunch* for you, baby I filled with butterflies Yes, I give up my lunch for you, baby If you just give me the eye I wanna rock with you Rock-a-doodle do Rock-a-doodle do Rock-a-doodle do

I'm probably an unreconstructed male who can't allow the thought that women might feel the same way about men as men feel about women.

Linda Lewis also has the distinction of being one of the few who played their songs live on 'Top of the Pops'; there exists a version that is quite different, showing Linda playing electric guitar. 

* Surely this should be 'crush'. This makes me doubt the veracity of some of the other lyrics.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
18902/08/2009
Speed IVProgramming
50002/08/2012
Still coughingHealth
106102/08/2017
Theanine againTheanine

No comments: