Thursday, August 08, 2024

Pedal board at the beginning of August 2024

I made an addition to my guitar pedalboard today so I thought that I would document it. I've just noticed that in the same way that Hebrew is written and read from right to left, the pedalboard is laid out with the signal flow going from right to left. Interesting.

On the far right is a metallic looking pedal; on its right hand side is something blue that is not easy to identify: this is a wireless receiver that replaces a guitar lead.There's a similar looking transmitter that I plug into the guitar. The receiver is plugged into the guitar tuner. The blue cable leaving the tuner goes into a black pedal, my latest acquisition, which is an overdrive pedal. More about this later. The red cable leaving this goes into the octave pedal; the white cable goes into the multi-effects box that is acting more and more like a chorus and delay pedal (I should redefine the presets to make this more useful). The green cable connects the multi-effects box to the tremolo pedal, and finally a guitar plug (barely seen) connects the pedal to the amplifier.

On the power side: the rectangular black box on the top left is the solar power bank, aka portable battery. Although it's difficult to see, there are two usb cables connected to this. The black cable connects to a usb charger - obviously when I want to charge the battery. The white one connects to the thin box on the right of the battery; this is the power distributor. A few black cables can be seen emerging from this box; they go to the power sockets on the cables. The new pedal came with its own power cable; one end has a standard plug for powering a pedal whereas the other end was a usb plug. The 'documentation' that came with the pedal was extremely uninformative and seems to be suitable for several pedals. As this cable seems to hint that the pedal needs more power than other pedals, I used the supplied cable to power it. The distributor has a usb socket on the far right end, so I plugged this cable in there.

I don't really need an overdrive pedal; in fact, I was sure that I had ordered a compressor, so I was somewhat surprised when I opened the box containing the pedal. As far as I can see, this is a rebranding (or a non-branding) of the Joyo overdrive pedal that itself is a version of other overdrive pedals. The control layout is slightly different on my pedal and fortunately it is matte black as opposed to the somewhat garish Joyo pedal. It cost me all of 80 NIS; the fruugo site is selling it for a mere 189 NIS + 9 NIS shipping, only almost two and a half times the price that I paid.

I found an interesting site with a review of the pedal. I don't imagine that I'll be using the pedal when I'm playing chords, which is most of the time, but I'll try and find a setting that gives me a little amount of 'dirt' or 'grit' as I would prefer to call it.

I've been watching several YouTube videos about pedals recently. I've noticed that in most of these, the guitar is far louder than the accompanying drums and bass, and especially with chorus, phaser or flanger pedals, the music played is very 'airy' that allows the effect to be heard clearly. I haven't seen many videos of someone demonstrating a pedal whilst playing rhythm guitar in a loud band, which is not exactly an occasion for subtlety in the sound.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
50108/08/2012
Back to normal (well, almost normal)Health
74908/08/2014
Twenty five years agoPersonal
124908/08/2019
Night walkingWalking
133008/08/2020
Masked songsKibbutz

No comments: