Thursday, August 15, 2024

Another night with bad sleep

Couldn't sleep a wink last night
Bryan Ferry, "Pyjamarama"

That quote from a long forgotten song from 1973 is not totally relevant; I doubt that anybody really doesn't "sleep a wink" - one might think that there is no sleep, but looking at the clock every now and then shows that time passes.

Last night this might have happened for pharmacological reasons: I forgot to take my evening medication that includes a theanine pill as well as a low dosage of amitryptiline, a prophylactic treatment for the prevention of migraines. Both of these drugs can cause sleep.

But I suspect that the real reason was an over-active right hemisphere of the brain. Earlier in the evening I had seen a YouTube video by David Bennett Piano about key changes in Beatles' songs. This isn't exactly new material for me but it was presented in an interesting way. My mind insisted throughout the night that the bridge of "There's a place" from the first album "Please please me" contains a modulation from the E major key of the verses to C# minor (relative minor). I think that David missed this one. There was also some syncopated guitar lick that I heard in my mind all night but by morning I can't remember what it was.

More work by the right hemisphere: in the late afternoon, I was doing some consulting work when the topic of Bills Of Materials (BOM) and BOM revisions cropped up. A certain report based on BOMs worked properly most of the time but gave erroneous results for one particular BOM. After examining a few things, I came to the conclusion that there was a problem with the BOM revisions for this part (more about this on the other blog). I took the dog for a walk after this and figured out a slightly complicated way of handling the problem.

This problem continued to hound me during the night, possibly as a way of not forgetting the solution, until about 2:20 am when suddenly a very simple solution occurred to me. Having this solution didn't help me fall back asleep, though.

It then occurred to me that maybe the words to my new song should be about solving puzzles or having topics whirl around in my brain's right hemisphere. I already have one song entitled "Another sleepless night" so that won't do.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
39215/08/2011Beginning the dietDiet
75115/08/2014Research proposal supplement acceptedDBA, Health

No comments: