Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Italy 2024 movie / blog management

Over the past few days I've been working on the Italy 2024 movie. As usual, I have only complaints about Microsoft Movie Maker and how one has to wait for ever when there are many clips in the movie.

As always, I learn something new every time I put together one of these movies. This time, I wanted the soundtrack of the Como part to be soothing waves and bird calls; unsurprisingly, this is the native sound of one of the various clips. I discovered that there are web sites that will take an mp4 file (this was the source) and extract from it the audio portion, saving it as mp3. This initial audio file was about one minute long, so in my music editor I duplicated it several times in order to create one 20 minute long clip. Then I realised that there was someone talking in the background of the original clip, so I had to edit this out then start again.

The Milano half (or more accurately, third) is accompanied most of the time by some light jazz. The train station sequences are without music as is the Andean piper at the castle, but other sections have this music along with the real time noise - mainly water fountains or bird calls.

It's interesting to note how long each chapter is - this gives an idea of how much we enjoyed ourselves at each point.

Chapter Subject length (mins)
1 Varenna 11:35
2 Menaggio  5:25
3 Bellagio 2:15
4 Milan: trains, hotel
2:32
5 Duomo 1:46
6 Castle 5:34
7 Il naviglio
2:23

The Bellagio chapter had to be filled out with pictures that I found on the Internet as we barely took any pictures there ourselves.


I've also had more ideas about the blog management program. Most of these have not required much coding; basically they've made existing functionality easier to access. For example, if the query from the 'set parameters for retrieving entries' form returns only one entry (as will happen if one is searching for a specific number or date), then the intermediate form ('choose entries') that shows all the entries returned by the query will not be shown; instead the entry itself will be opened directly.

I discovered that I had included at some time an option to bring up the 'edit HTML text' form on the 'show entry' form; I had neglected to allow a successful edit to cause the 'show entry' form to redisplay with the edited text. This required changing the visibility of certain variables from 'private' to 'public', but otherwise was managed easily.

Another addition was the possibility of displaying within the blog manager the list of blogs mentioned in the 'this day in history' list at the bottom of the blog. Should I choose to click on the list in the blog, then the 'real' internet browser will be invoked and will open the chosen page from the blogger site. I wanted the capability of opening up another 'choose entry' form with these blogs and at first I went down a rabbit hole of investigating how to add my own context menu to the internal web browser. Later it occurred to me that all I need do was add an option to the 'show entry' form's system menu that would call the 'ShowHistory' routine; again, I had to change something from private to public.

This morning I thought it would be nice to display the contents of several blogs at one go instead of bringing up a listing of those blogs (the 'choose entries' form). This was achieved by making the grid that displays the listing multichoice and then writing a little code to open the chosen blogs. As I write this, it occurs to me that adding an 'open all' button would be useful in certain circumstances (I was thinking about opening up all the blogs that I wrote during our Italian holiday).

I appreciate that all of the above is somewhat meaningless to someone other than myself as only I have this program. But some of the ideas behind this program migrate into the OP's management program, as ideas from her program migrate to mine.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
Title Tags
49 20/08/2006
Toothache and detectives DCI Banks, Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin, Teeth, Morse
753 20/08/2014
Abattoir blues DCI Banks, Kindle, Peter Robinson
1524 20/08/2022
Oat biscuits Cooking
1659 20/08/2023
Financial management and metabolism Nutrition

No comments: