Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Derek Underwood, RIP

Another sporting hero from my youth, Derek Underwood, has died at the age of 78. His biggest claim to fame was probably the final test match against Australia in 1968: With England 1-0 down in the series, Australia were 85 for five on the last day when a thunderstorm drenched the ground. However, a desperate mop-up operation by the crowd allowed play to restart with 75 minutes remaining, and in the concluding half-hour Underwood took the last four wickets for just six runs in 27 deliveries, securing his final scalp with only six minutes left and ending up with 7 for 50.

He was defined as a slow left arm spinner, but it seemed to me that he bowled 'straight' middle pace. I could never understand why he was so successful.There was a boy at school in my year who was in the same class as me for a few years, but we never had much to do with each other; he was a bowler who seemed to base himself on Underwood and was in the first XI. I have no memory of ever facing his bowling.


News of a different kind: I have finally been informed that a date has been set for my final doctoral examination - 20 May. That will give me plenty of time to remind myself what the research was about. I'll probably have a meeting with my supervisor a week prior to the date.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
2916/04/2006
Weird weatherWeather
24416/04/2010
Travelling by train/Outliers/Memories of schoolTrains, Outliers
82916/04/2015
Vinyl log 5 - 16 AprilVinyl log, Blodwyn Pig, Nice enough to eat
149316/04/2022
The malleability of folk songsFairport Convention

No comments: