Friday, April 16, 2010

Travelling by train/Outliers/Memories of school

Instead of working in my office this week, 5 km from my home, I've been travelling almost every day to different branches of my company. On Monday I was in Tel Aviv, Tuesday Haifa bay, Wednesday Carmiel and Thursday Tel Aviv again. Some of my fellow workers wondered whether I was healthy, as they haven't seen me for several days.

Every day I travelled by train; I've been getting to recognise many of my fellow travellers. Of course, I don't know their names, but I often assign them nicknames, not necessarily complimentary. I wonder if they notice me and whether they have assigned me a nickname too (that sour looking bloke who's started travelling every day instead of once a week).

The reading material for the past week has been the Hebrew translation of "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. Normally I wouldn't read a book in Hebrew which was originally written in English; I was given the book at Pesach by my occupational psychologist and it was too complicated to arrange to swap the book for the original version. Probably I lost some of the wit and inferences present in the original, but I'm fairly sure that I got the gist of the book. It was a bit repetitive, and some of the material is downright wrong (the Beatles could not have racked up 10,000 playing hours before they became famous), but the pros outweigh the cons. The basic thrust of the book is that no one succeeds on their own; everybody needs a bit of luck and opportunity. Sometimes one has to be born in the correct month of the year.

The book starts with an analysis of junior Canadian ice hockey players; Gladwell points out that one stands a much better chance of being picked for a junior hockey team and then be trained if one is born in the first three months of the year (Jan-Mar). When comparing eight year old children, there is a big physical difference between an eight years and eleven months old child as opposed to an eight years and one month old child. 

I was such a child who theoretically suffered from being born in the wrong month. My birthday is in August, and the British school year started (maybe still does) in September, so I was always one of the youngest children in my class. I certainly don't remember any problems about this whilst in junior school (upto age 11), but then we didn't have competitive sports there. The problem was recognised at my grammar school: during the winter and spring terms, when we played rugby, everyone was classified as under-12 (this was the first year). But when the summer term arrived and we played cricket, suddenly most of the children were in the under-13 age group whereas I was still in the under-12s. There wasn't an under-12s cricket team (as there were so few of us), but I did take part in an swimming competition as an under-12 with few competitors. The following year, we were all under-13s, but when the cricket season arrived, again most children were now under-14s whereas I was still under-13 and played with children in their first year. Thus theoretically I was compensated for having been born in August.

Academically, all of the above was irrelevant. As it happened, 40% of the students skipped a year between what would have been their second and fifth years (ie we took our 0-levels after four years whereas 60% of the students took their 0-levels after five years). As a result, when I was in the 6th form, I was with students who were nearly two years older than me; I remember that in my final year, one of the boys in my class used to drive a car to school, whereas I had barely cleared my sixteenth birthday.

I also left school at sixteen, albeit at sixteen and ten or eleven months. The uncertainty arises because it's not clear exactly when I finished school; during the final term we had A-level exams, which meant that we had no lessons and were at home revising. To complicate matters, my parents moved from Bristol to Cardiff before I finished the exams, so once I had to catch the train from Cardiff to Bristol in order to "sit" an exam (if I remember correctly, it was a practical exam in Chemistry, so no one sat). I know that I came to the 'final assembly', which would have been in July 1973, but again I came on the train and I did not come in school uniform.

No comments: