Sunday, November 26, 2023

Guitar thoughts

I have a few mild complaints about my Stagg guitar; I was thinking about them yesterday and may have come across some solutions. First off, the volume of the neck pickup is less than the bridge pickup. Solution: raise the pickup! I hadn't noticed but there are two screws next to the neck pickup, one on each side. These are intended specifically for raising or lowering the pickup. I took a suitable screwdriver and gently turned the screws - the pickup rose (I checked that the pickup does not interfere with the strings, even when played on the highest frets). I will, of course, have to check with an amplifier that this simple procedure has made a positive difference. 

I put a new set of strings on the guitar a few weeks ago; these are "tens" in the professional parlance. I have noticed that these strings are hard on my left hand, leaving deep marks on my finger tips. I think that using a set of "nines" on the Stagg would make the strings more considerate towards my fingers. It's a bit early to be changing the strings again but it's something that I'll bear in mind for next time. Incidentally, the fret buzzing that I noticed after changing the strings has disappeared, presumably because the strings have had a chance to settle down. "Tens" are fine on the Washburn.

It looks like the musical group - I'd like to call it Heptagon - will be playing at the opening night of the Chanuka festival on 7 December. There are some songs that I would prefer to play on the Washburn and some I would prefer to play on the Stagg; I wrote about this here, suggesting that I need a little mixer that would allow me to have both connected at the same time. A short Internet search found what I was looking for; after I ordered it, I realised that it's basically the same as the headphone amplifier that I wrote about several years ago, except that the headphones mixer is stereo and I want a mono mixer. But I probably could use this mixer for the guitars if I decide to take both (this may seem like overkill). Something else to check.

As it happens, I ordered a few extra guitar leads including one short 0.5 metre lead a few weeks ago; even though this was from an Israeli shop, they still have yet to arrive ("there's a shortage of drivers", I was told when I phoned last week to check), although they are supposed to come in a few days' time. Just as well, as the extra leads will help me check how the mixer works, and also because last night I was having trouble with my usual guitar lead. I swapped this with another lead that I have in my guitar bag and the problems went away.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
144326/11/2021Opening Excel from a thread and displaying a fileProgramming, Delphi, Office automation

No comments: