Saturday, November 18, 2023

The musical group reconvenes

Due to the Jewish holidays, the musical group took a break from 17 September onwards, intending to recommence rehearsals at the beginning of October. Of course, the events of 7 October were such that no one felt in the slightest bit interested in playing rock music; nothing was said but there were no rehearsals. 

About ten days ago, the bassist sent a message to our WhatsApp group, suggesting that we start working on new material, possibly for a performance during the kibbutz's 75th birthday, possibly for Chanuka and possibly for a performance intended to raise public moral. I posted back saying that I had had similar thoughts, but that we should ignore our previous repertoire and work on a more 'unplugged' set of songs that would bring a message of hope and peace. We then entered a phase of suggesting more and more songs; last week we worked on three songs quite deeply, and one we barely touched. Presumably tonight we will work on that one song that we agreed upon as well as two others.

As these songs are quieter, or rather less "rocky", I decided to fingerpick most of them. I admit to finding it difficult to fingerpick well on the Stagg; the fingerboard is narrower than what I am used to and the strings seem to be at a higher tension. This morning I tried out the three songs from last week and found it much easier to play them well on the Washburn. So I'll take this guitar tonight.

This makes me wonder whether I'll end up taking two guitars to any public performance - in which case I need a way of switching between them quietly. I bought a small mixer several years ago but I was very disappointed in it as it seemed to suck all the tones out of the sound. Maybe I can find another one that will be more suitable, although of course there's no real way of knowing in advance how it will affect the sound.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
14518/11/2008Lonely at the topMIDI, Randy Newman
30518/11/2010How to save money when ordering books from abroadBook depository
30618/11/2010Alesis Q49MIDI, King Crimson, Antibes
52118/11/2012Warming up for DBA examDBA
77718/11/2014Enron's spreadsheetsDBA, Excel
155218/11/2022Fairport newsFairport Convention
168718/11/2023The musical group reconvenesMusical group

No comments: