Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The camino pilgrimage

Isn't it typical? I don't write anything for three weeks and then write two blogs in a day.

The final part of David Lodge's wonderful book 'Therapy' takes place mainly in Spain, when the book's protagonist Laurence "Tubby" Passmore starts looking for his first girlfriend who is taking part in the 'Camino' pilgrimage. I'd never heard of this pilgrimage before, but as Lodge is a Catholic who knows what he is writing about, I had no reason to doubt that there is such a pilgrimage (and now I've found its website).

I was reading today an interview with Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Estevez about their new film, "The way", which tells the story of a fortysomething man (played by Emilio, in a cameo role) who dies while walking the Camino – The Way of St James, the ancient pilgrimage route across Europe to the saint's grave at Santiago de Compostela in Galicia. His father (played by Martin) travels to Europe to collect the body and ends up completing the walk on his son's behalf.

I'm much more interested in the interview because of the pilgrimage as opposed to a more prurient interest in another son of Martin Sheen. I look forward to seeing the film, as it will complement the book - Passmore too is on a spiritual pilgrimage although may not always be too aware of this fact.

No comments: