Wednesday, January 10, 2024

JPR Williams, RIP

I don't write very much about sports here because they have dropped entirely from my set of interests, but when I was a youth, I was very keen on cricket and watching rugby games (not so much playing it). I was a member of Bristol RFC and as such saw many games from an excellent vantage point next to the halfway line and only a few yards from the edge of the pitch.

Of course I also watched the international matches on TV: this was a time when I was proud to have been born in Wales. There was a trio/quartet of half-backs that were truly excellent: Gareth Edwards, Barry John, Phil Bennett and JPR Williams. I actually saw Williams a week before his international debut when Bristol hosted London Welsh (presumably). The only thing that I remember from this game (apart from being there) was that Williams at one stage received the ball and made a kick that instead of gaining ground went straight up, high into the air. I don't know whether this was a mistake or deliberate - if the latter then it would have given his forwards (who were in front of the ball) a chance to get behind the ball legally.

I read today that JPR has died, and so with this, a tiny part of my youth has also died.





This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
22910/01/2010Organisational BehaviourOrganisation behaviour, Psychology, MBA
32410/01/2011Ahead rings outBlodwyn Pig, Nice enough to eat
145910/01/2022Displaying hints (2)Programming, Delphi

No comments: