Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Glucose

Today's reading matter is "Glucose Revolution: The Life-Changing Power of Balancing Your Blood Sugar" by Jessie Inchauspe. I'm about 40% of the way through the book and finding it most interesting, especially when considering the glucose and Hemo A1C results in my last blood test. I wonder what trained dieticians and doctors think about this book.

Insights so far:
* Eat food in the correct order, i.e. fiber first, protein and fat second, with starches and sugars last. Doing so will reduce the glycemic index (or as the book puts it, the 'glucose spike').
* Drink a glass of water with a tablespoon of vinegar in it before eating something sweet. Vinegar curbs spikes, but doesn’t erase them. It will help if you add it to your diet—but it’s not a justification to eat more sugar, because on balance, that would make your diet worse than before.
* [A whole] apple is better for us than applesauce, which is better for us than apple juice.
* Oat milk tends to be the biggest spiker, because it contains more carbs than the other milks, as it’s made from grains, not nuts.

What am I going to do with my diet? First off, I've made an appointment for a dietician - in another six weeks. I'll replace the applesauce in my breakfast with yoghurt. My evening meal lately has been salad followed by ice cream: this is actually ok, as the vegetables mitigate the sugar in the ice cream. I don't know what to do about the oat milk. There's no mention of quinoa in the book, nor of pearl barley, so I don't know what to think about them.

I have several dietary problems and I am trying to find the optimum path through them. The most important - as far as I can see - is the potassium level, then the glucose. Of course, I have to eat foods that I am capable of eating. Today and tomorrow I'm not using erythritol as I'm having problems getting back to sleep in the middle of the night and I want to see whether the sugar alcohol is the cause.

I read the other day that black licorice reduces potassium levels, so it might be worth eating some licorice. My nephrologist noted in my first consultation with him that I had just started eating licorice; I stopped on his advice. But that was when we didn't know what was causing my high blood pressure, and now it might be beneficial.

I find it slightly ironic that 17 years ago today I wrote about fructose, a monosaccharide that this book considers to be an enemy, even if it has a low glycemic index.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
3830/05/2006FructoseFood science, Jeff Duntemann
122830/05/2019Yet another new mobile phoneMobile phone

No comments: