Thursday, May 15, 2008

Friend from the past

I was out yesterday evening walking the dog when a voice hailed me with a nickname which I haven't been called for 35 years. I looked around and saw one of my oldest friends, someone whom I haven't seen it maybe 15 years.

We first met when we were 11, and were unseparable for several years. In later years, we went our own ways but still kept in touch.

I admit that one of my biggest problems is lack of personal skills, especially getting interested when other people talk about themselves. I admit that I'm not too interested in other people's lives. So it was a bit difficult talking with this old friend of mine.

He is my age, two or three months older, but for various reasons never settled down and only got married (or at least coupled) about five years ago. He has two children, aged two and four. When those children reach their teens, my friend will be in his sixties! True, he looks very well now, but what will he be like in ten years time?

No comments: