Tuesday, September 15, 2026

A change in the weather

As opposed to yesterday when it was very hot, today was reasonably cool - around 24ºC. There was a little rain during the night although I didn't hear it, a little more in the afternoon when we resting and then again in the evening when we set out for a pre-prandial walk and dinner. One side of the main road is where boats are tied up and there were some puddles there; the other side has shops and outside restaurants, but it is possible to walk past the shops and through the restaurants so very little rain actually fell upon us.

I woke up a few times during the night, and on one of my visits to the toilet, I took the picture that appears on the left: this is the sea that separates Paros from the Peloponnese town of Galatas. It looks better at night than it does during the day. Probably one day we'll take the snall ferry over to the other side to see what lies there but I doubt that there's anything particularly interesting.

I awoke fairly earlier, and in lieu of my normal breakfast, I started off with half a bottle of strawberry flavoured kefirKefir is made by fermenting the lactose in goat milk, yielding a sour, carbonated, slightly alcoholic beverage, although the consistency is similar to the drinkable yoghourt.Over the past few weeks I've started buying s similar product from a Israeli dairy that supplies to the kibbutz once every fortnight; the kefir was 'sharper' than the Israeli product. The kefir has 48 calories per 100 ml whereas the Israeli version has something like 100 calories/100 ml, if not more. Maybe I'll try and find kefir in Israel.

I couldn't figure out how to get the electric cooker to work so we had toasted cheese sandwiches for a lighter breakfast that we would have preferred. I discovered later on that the fuse was turned off in the main fusebox so from tomorrow we can have omelettes for breakfast. After leaving our flat, I took my wife slowly up the sea side of the road until we reached the supermarker. Here we bought more supplies, including two bottles of blackcurrant flavoured kefir that I look forward to drinking over the next few days. We walked back on the shop side of the road, checking out the produce so that we could see what would be better to purchase. Unfortunately my wife wasn't too consistent with this attitude and bought something that turned out to be inferior (and also more expensive) than something that we saw in the evening.

By the time we got back to the area near our flat, it was already 13:30, so we treated ourselves to brunch in the cafe directly under our flat, adding the protein that we missed in the morning. My wife had scrambled eggs with salad on french toast whereas I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on toast. Very nice.

After a rest, we went out again, turning left at the bottom of our steps instead of right, and so we saw a new set of restaurants. I didn't see many shops, but when we turned back, partially because of the rain, we discoved an alley way consisting only of shops. Some of these we better than the shops that we had seen in the morning.

Eventually we arrived back at our steps and sar down in the restaurant on the right of our steps. I had seen previously that they had various fish stored on ice in their window so I knew that we could have grilled sea bass close to our flat instead of having to walk to a recommended fish restaurant that was near the supermarket. We had to wait some time for the fish to be cooked, but probably because of the coldish wind blowing, it wasn't particularly hot. But it was good.

[I notice that there's a bug in the label algorithm of Blogger: I have chosen the label 'Poros' but instead the label 'coupling' appears. Weird.]



This day in blog history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
915/09/2005MigraineMigraine
40615/09/2011Planning the SQLDelphi, SQL, Firebird
51115/09/2012My father's 90th birthdayPersonal, Father
166315/09/2023Cropping videosHome movies, Musical group
182115/09/2024A gentleman in MoscowPersonal, Literature

No comments: