Sunday, October 11, 2026

What's the sign of getting old?

My wife sent me the attached picture which is very apt for me at the moment. I won't trouble your knowledge of Hebrew, so I'll give the translation.

What's the sign of getting old?

  • You go to see a play - you fall asleep
  • You read the newspaper - you fall asleep
  • You watch television - you fall asleep
  • When you finally get to bed in order to sleep ... you can't fall asleep.

Since retirement (all of two months), I've been having problems falling asleep  at night. At first, this wasn't too much of a problem as I was swimming almost every day, and swimming relatively long distances, so I was quite tired on those days. But since coming back from Poros (we got home at 4 am) which was followed immediately by Yom Kippur (nothing much to do except rest), I have been having sleep problems. Most evenings I can't fall asleep easily so I've been reaching for the tablets that I bought in Rapallo last year - herbal mixtures for relaxation.

Last week I went to see my GP who prescribed melatonin (my request) and sleeping pills that I cut into four. So far the melatonin hasn't helped so I've been reaching for those sleeping pills; even with the reduced dose, this isn't something that I want to do frequently. But definitely my sleeping patterns are not good: I woke up at 5 am yesterday morning - yes, Saturday morning when most people allow themselves a lie-in. I know that melatonin helps with jet lag but the linked article says research suggests that melatonin might slightly reduce the time it takes to fall asleep [emphasis mine] No wonder my GP wasn't too happy to prescribe the melatonin: this was at my request. I think I'll go back to the herbal mixture until those pills run out.

Apparently the picture was posted on a kibbutz mailing list, and many people said that it described their situation well.



This day in blog history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
20711/10/2009This tickled my fancyDog
63811/10/2013More booksLiterature, Tom Clancy
108111/10/2017Research questionsDBA
134611/10/2020Continuing the story of porting an application to Windows 10/Delphi 10.2Programming, ClientDataSet
153511/10/2022Another DBA updateDBA
167511/10/2023Communal grief (2)Israel, Obituary, Kibbutz
201611/10/2025Renewing the t-shirt inventoryPersonal

No comments: