Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Another DBA update

As I wrote only two days ago, I'm not going to continue working on the thesis until I receive my supervisor's feedback. Yeah, right (that's how two positives can make a negative). That blog entry was posted at 16:40; I took the dog for a long walk and think, and when I came back, I had more ideas for the thesis. Yesterday I worked another three hours on the thesis, and today I worked another two. As far as I can see, the thesis is now complete, except for the following:

  1. More interviews for the main case study which should lead to the presentation of more data [whilst writing this blog, one of the intended interviewees has asked me to call tomorrow]
  2. Presentation of data for the second case study
  3. Presentation of data for the third case study - this will be easy.
That's it! On the basis of the first case study, I created a 14 point model (as noted in that previous blog). I then compared the processes of the second and third case studies to this model, and enlarged it slightly, to 16 points. I also retroactively analysed the the enhancement used in the pilot study; the model showed where and why I (and the CEO) consider it to be a failure: the first part of 'continue managerial and technical support' didn't happen.

Yesterday afternoon, I took the final, conclusions, chapter of the previous thesis and plunked it down at the end of the current thesis. I then went through it with a very blunt editorial knife, cutting out everything that seemed not relevant to the current thesis. This morning, I went over this chapter again with a much sharper knife, cutting out more sentences that no longer made any sense. I then had to repopulate parts of the chapter with new material. It may not be the final version, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

As I've noted above, one of the intended interviewees sent me a message whilst I was writing the previous paragraph, so I'll interview her tomorrow, and hopefully I'll have more data to add. This interview will be recorded on the telephone, so it's less likely that the problems that dogged the first interview will return (that interview was via Teams, with video).


No comments: