Friday, June 07, 2024

Credit card fraud

Something that I forgot to mention before: when I downloaded all the emails that had accrued in my absence, I saw that there was one from the credit card company. Apparently there was a charge for about 270 NIS (about 67€) from someone with a Greek name from 03 June; the company had flagged this as probable fraud and did not honour the charge. 

On 3 June, I was in Rodos, so theoretically this charge could be valid, save for the fact that my card was eaten by an ATM before I had a chance to use it. With an admirable sense of foresight, I had arranged that all extra charges from the ship would be on a separate credit card, so there would be no problem with these. My wife's purchases were made with her credit card.

When I finally managed to speak to someone at the company (as their email requested), the person at the other end of the line didn't know anything about the probable fraud. Presumably because the charge was not honoured, the time of the charge was not known. I assume that someone managed to extract the card from the machine and used it to buy something.

When I asked how the company knew to flag the charge as fraudulent, the answer was that it was not in keeping with my profile of purchases. They were not to know that I actually was in Rodos that day and that the charge could have been legitimate. They didn't flag any of my wife's charges as fraudulent even though those too theoretically don't fit her profile.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
36607/06/2011Post mortem on the HRM examMBA, HRM
59007/06/2013Barcelona log (2) - In search of GaudiHoliday, Barcelona
104007/06/2017Rodos log 3: Filerimos and the Valley of ButterfliesHoliday, Rodos, Greece
114207/06/2018Italy 2018 - Travelling to TorinoHoliday, Torino, Italy
132207/06/2020Is it OK to have a PhD thesis with shortcomings and inaccuracies?DBA
151007/06/2022Italy 2022: LecceHoliday, Italy, Bari
162607/06/2023When life gives you lemons ...Personal, Erythritol

No comments: