Friday, June 16, 2023

BGS Cricket 2nd XI, 1973

Whilst looking in a drawer full of old documents (I was looking for my bachelor degree certificate), I came across the photograph shown above. This wasn't just a normal photograph, it was taken professionally, sized just under A4 and mounted on cardboard. It's also kept very well, but I suppose that's not surprising, considering how it has been stored for the past fifty years (the photograph dates from sometime in May or June 1973, so indeed fifty years).

There are some faces that I remember very well: my good friend Robert is sitted second on the right; to his right (our left) are two of the three young gentlemen who were two years older than me but very kind to me in the following years (link), Nick and Simon G. They were both in the same class as I in the sixth form. I have no idea whatsoever as to the identity of the apparently identical twins sitted as both ends of the first row; I don't remember any twins at all.

In the second row, far right, is my friend Jon, with whom I played hockey for many years, enjoyed listening to Steeleye Span and went camping to the first Lacock folk festival. Jon and Robert were in the same class as I for three years, but once we reached the sixth form, they turned to the 'Arts' side whereas I was in the 'Science' side, so we met much less frequently in our later years at school. Jon and Simon G. were in the same house as I.

Next to him is a boy called Simon W. who I remember joined our class in the third year; I don't remember him as a cricketer, but then I barely remember anything else about him. In the back row, starting from our left is someone I don't recognise at all, then someone I recognise but can't remember his name, and then someone whose name is Tim (but that's all I remember about him).

Yours truly is in the middle at the back, with the long hair. I remember I had to stand there as I did not have the appropriate trousers (white) with me that day. Looking at this picture now, I am surprised how much taller Jon was than I; I know that I was short but not that short. Simon G. in the front row was much taller as was the unknown gentleman on the far left.

I remember that in September 1971, just after we started in the sixth form, Simon G. and I went to the record shop near the school in our lunch break (sixth formers were allowed out of school grounds during breaks); he bought Paul Simon's "There goes rhymin' Simon" and I bought Sandy Denny's "North star grassman and the ravens". Obviously we had different tastes in music.....



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
48516/06/2012Mostar (Dubrovnik log 2)Holiday, Dubrovnik
59816/06/2013Edinburgh log (2): Round and aboutHoliday, Edinburgh, Bagpipes
59916/06/2013Edinburgh log (3): AberdeenHoliday, Edinburgh, Bagpipes
72016/06/2014The mist covered mountain (Sorrento log 5)Holiday, Sorrento, Italy
86616/06/2015More guitarMIDI, Reason
95616/06/2016Today's reading matter (2)DBA
139816/06/202115 June 2021ERP, Covid-19

No comments: