Monday, June 05, 2023

Musical group (3)

We had a very good rehearsal on Saturday evening. Before we started, I asked the other guitarist to turn down his amp slightly as all I could hear was him and not myself. When the others came, one said that he couldn't hear guitarist #1, another said that he couldn't hear guitarist #2, and the bassist couldn't hear himself! I'm listening now to the recordings that we made: the producer in me wants to bring up the vocalists much more, and bring up the other guitarist - I'm too loud.

When listening to previous recordings, I felt that one song that has a quasi acapella intro could be better served with a 6/8 rhythm. So Friday night and Saturday morning, I spent a few hours sequencing the intro and figuring out how to sing it - the words didn't fall too well on the new rhythm. I sent a recording to everyone; we tried playing it, but it didn't work out, so we dropped that idea. Later on in the same song, I suggested adding an extra bar at a climactic point - this worked out well.

One song that we tried out last week and continued working on this week was a harmonically simple song. We had to rehearse it somewhat as yours truly was 'forced' to take a solo at one point - a few bars, theoretically over E, but with no accompaniment. I thought about this a little during the week and considered playing the riff to 'Sunshine of your love' but this didn't quite fit. So I played something similar; listening to it now, I can hear that a few notes are out of time; I'll have to work on this.  

Our performance may be moved from the beginning of July to the end. I wonder whether I'll have to stand up to play, or take a leaf out of Robert Fripp's style and play sitting down. We haven't discussed presentation yet.

No comments: