Friday, June 30, 2023

School swimming

I hinted at this last week, but now I'll give the full story - or at least, as much as I can remember. In my third year at BGS (called 'the fifth form'), we had a swimming lesson once a week. I'm fairly sure that we gave up our morning break in order to walk to the swimming pool of Bristol University that was situated in the 'Union' building about half a mile away from the school. I suspect that the swimming lesson must have been a 'double lesson', so we would have come back in time for lunch.

As I wrote before, we were taught properly how to swim crawl. Along with this, there was plenty of time to practice swimming back stroke that was my speciality. In the summer term (I think), I felt that I had a good chance of winning my age group's back stroke race, and as practice I used to race with someone else (I don't remember who) swimming crawl (he wasn't as fast as I was). One time I was swimming quite fast when suddenly a muscle in my leg cramped - and that was that.

The pain must have lasted a few days, for I remember going to the family doctor who told me (probably) that there wasn't much that could be done about the pain as the muscle would relax in time. For the mean time, though, there would be no more swimming for me and that I was to take things easy. I remember that I was almost in tears when I told my housemaster that I would not be able to compete, but he didn't seem to be too moved (again, relying on a doubtful memory that hasn't been recalled for over 50 years).

As always, one has to ask why I am telling all this. Yesterday I had the second remedial swimming lesson: we started out holding flat boards with our arms stretched out in front, practicising the leg movements for crawl. I felt at first that I wasn't moving forward; it wasn't until I caused my legs to be just under the water, instead of far below, that I started to make progress,

Then I found that holding the flat board in front was more distracting than helpful, so I left it at the pool's edge and starting swimming crawl properly. I saw that I had to concentrate on four things at the same time: my legs, keeping my face down, breathing and arm movements. I found it very tiring to swim a width in this manner, but the skill was slowly returning.

In a break, someone asked whether it was easier to swim crawl or back stroke; I said that back stroke was easier as one didn't have to concentrate on breathing, although the same amount of energy is still needed. At the least,   the legs are on top of the water. I then started out to swim a width on my back, but after a few strokes ... that same calf muscle in my leg cramped!  I immediately stopped swimming (not that I could continue anyway) and started massaging the muscle, at least enough to relax it sufficiently so that I could limp out of the pool.

Yesterday the cramp didn't seem so bad, but today it's been very painful when using my leg. Of course I didn't go swimming and I've spent most of the day lying down, but I still have to walk the dog. There isn't much pain when walking on the flat or walking up a hill or stairs, but walking down the stairs is painful. Completely by chance the other day I received a 'massage pistol' as a prize from all my walking so I tried using this on my leg. I can't say that it had an effect, but maybe it has to be used several times.

If the cramp doesn't improve, I'll go to the clinic on Sunday morning and see what they have to say. I hope that I will be able to continue with the swimming lessons, not only for the lessons themselves, but also because I had to pay no small amount for them.

Bonus memory: there were five classes in the fifths; I don't think that all/most of the classes had swimming on the same day but rather one class a day. This means that one class would have had swimming on the same day as sports in the afternoon - this sounds unlikely to me.



This day in history:

Blog # Date Title Tags
258 30/06/2010 The In-basket: the initial stages of designing a computerised exam Programming, In-basket, Psychology, MDI
259 30/06/2010 Music and lyrics Films, Hugh Grant
1403 30/06/2021 1400 blogs Meta-blogging

No comments: