Friday, August 28, 2026

Swimming and showering

The number of lengths that I've been swimming has slowly been increasing - today I swam 34 and I might have swum more if I hadn't had to return home at a specific time. I always used to have a hot shower when I arrived home, trying to warm up my shoulders and thighs. But as it happens, I was rereading a book entitled 'Swimmingly' (about the author's experiences in open water swimming, ie rivers and the sea, not swimming pools), when I came across this passage.

No hot showers at the Serpentine, thankfully, otherwise you’d get a lot of people emerging from the freezing lake and heading straight into a hot shower. Which is a really ugly thing to do, because you don’t recover for the rest of the day. When you’ve been in cold water for a while and your core temperature has sunk, the capillaries shrink. They contract as you get cold. Your body’s trying to get as much heat into its core as possible. So if you go and get hot after being cold for a long period of time, the capillaries open and the blood flows to your skin, robbing the efficient heating process your body’s going through.

Having a hot shower before going to bed is recommended, as the hot water causes the blood vessels to dilate and so the body loses heat which is ideal if one is going to sleep. But in order to recover after a swim, it's better to shower in cold water, as illogical as it may seem. So today my shower was cool and even though I swam more today that I have on any previous day this year, I am not tired and feel no need to lie down for a rest. Of course, part of this is because my body is getting more and more used to the swimming, but I believe that the cold shower also plays a part in this lack of desire.



This day in blog history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
19328/08/2009Firebird date fields, continuedProgramming, Firebird, dbExpress
50328/08/2012Disappointing blood test resultsHealth
62128/08/2013Nothing moreMIDI, Sandy Denny
133328/08/2020Time sheets and perceived valueERP, DBA, Organisation behaviour
181028/08/2024More on internal links in the blog managerProgramming, Blog manager program

No comments: