Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Disappointing blood test results

Way back in February and January, I wrote about a dairy drink called Danacol, which is supposed to reduce blood cholesterol levels. I had a blood test done at the beginning of February in order to establish a base level and had another yesterday in order to see how six months of Danacol have influenced my cholesterol levels. Here are the tabled results of my last three blood tests:

Date cholesterol triglycerides HDL (good) LDL (bad) ratio
15/08/11 205 149 39 137 5.26
03/02/12 188 135 44 117 4.27
26/08/12 207 197 44 124 4.70

All of the numbers - save the HDL - should be as low as possible. It's clear to see that apart from maintaining the HDL level, all the other values have deteriorated! In other words, assuming that everything else has remained the same, Danacol had no effect on me!

Of course, as a scientific experiment, there are several problems. 
  1. I am basing my data on one measurement point (ideally the values should be measured weekly, or at least monthly)
  2. I am assuming that the food that I eat has remained the same (not too difficult, seeing as I almost always eat the same) - for example, I might have been eating more 27% fat cheese than before, as opposed to 9% or even 5% fat. I certainly have been drinking more milk (although mainly 1%) in the past six months (Spring/Summer) than in the previous six months (Autumn/Winter).
  3. I am assuming that my recent illness has had no effect on the lipid levels
  4. The body is not a perfect machine
 My immediate decision is to stop buying Danacol! Your mileage may vary.



Some of the blood which was taken on Sunday will be tested for Pertussis (whooping cough) antibodies. Apparently it is possible to determine whether there are any 'old' antibodies remaining from when I was inoculated as a child and whether there are any new antibodies which were created in the past few weeks. If there are new antibodies - then I did suffer from Pertussis. The results have yet to arrive.

No comments: