If the book is going to continue in chronological order, then it seems that the other two pieces won't appear. Although I don't want to emphasize my contributions, this is a shame, as the pieces that I've read are almost entirely factual in the style of "I went to this concert", "I heard this record" and "I met someone who went to school with" with no critical content whatsoever. I've paged through the book, looking especially at the last third that includes pieces by Joe Boyd, Andrew Batt (compiler of many Sandy compilations) and others; whilst this part has a different tone, my extra contributions appear not to appear.
So here's the contribution that didn't get used: One Israeli radio station plays the 'Unhalfbricking' version of 'Who knows where the time goes' about once a week, although recently I heard what must be the original version from 'Sandy and the Strawbs' as it was only Sandy playing acoustic guitar and singing the original arrangement. I wonder how on earth the station managed to lay their hands on this version - it didn't come from me! My wife has become extremely enamoured of the song (finally, after 43 years of marriage!) and asked me to add it to her telephone playlist. She then asked if there were any other songs that she might like - I could think of at least one hundred - and so I sent her 'I'll keep it with mine'. It occurs to me now that IKIWM has several similarities to WKWTTG in terms of harmony - although in fact it should be written the other way around, as IKIWM was written in 1964 by Bob Dylan and WKWTTG was written in 1968 by Sandy Denny. There are several formal correspondences: both songs have three verses, neither song has a chorus, and both feature each song's title as the last line of every verse. Dylan does this frequently whereas Denny does it less often. The arrangements also are similar with Richard Thompson playing guitar obbligatos. There is a world of difference between the original Strawbs' version (Sandy solo) and the Fairport version, and today I wonder how much the arrangement of WKWTTG was inspired - if at all - by what they did with the Dylan song. Occasionally I wish the radio station would play some other song from 'Unhalfbricking', although I assume that they have some computer file and not the physical cd or even vinyl.
Internal links
[1] 825
| Title | Tags | ||
|---|---|---|---|
| 278 | Updates (mainly The Swell Season) | DCI Banks, Peter Robinson, Swell Season, Time signatures | |
| 397 | Implicit vs explicit joins (SQL)/2 | SQL | |
| 619 | Chaining functionality | ERP | |
| 1808 | Internal links in the blog manager | Programming, Blog manager program |



No comments:
Post a Comment