Thursday, July 23, 2026

Challenges and out of the box solutions

I wrote1 yesterday about how the old CEO would challenge me with various problems. I forgot to mention that my manager mentioned that often she would come to me with questions that either I could solve on the spot or those that needed a bit more thought (see the accompanying picture). Often I would solve 'the impossible' either in the shower or when walking the dog.

I also mentioned that there appears to be a bug in Priority regarding certain SQL queries although I won't go into detail about the bug here. I went out with the dog for our early morning walk and a solution for fixing this bug popped into my mind. It's not a complete fix, but it's good enough for the time being. The only way to get there was to ignore the standard method of doing something (which appears to be bollixed at the moment) and find an out of the box method. It helps to do this when one is far away from a keyboard.

Internal links
[1] 2121



This day in blog history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
9623/07/2007Favourite filmsFilms, Woody Allen, Meg Ryan, Diane Keaton, Kevin Kline, Hugh Grant
26823/07/2010Porting the Amateur Reasoner/2Prolog, Bill Thompson
105423/07/2017This bird has flown: the enduring beauty of Rubber SoulBeatles
164523/07/2023The beginnings of a new songHealth, David Lodge, Song writing
196823/07/2025Dave Cousins RIPObituary, Sandy Denny

No comments: