Wednesday, July 19, 2023

If this is jazz then I'm all for it

I was looking for a certain song on YouTube whose name (I thought) was 'Together'. I didn't find the song that I was looking for, but I did find something else with the same name, something far far better. I had stumbled across the trumpeter Matthew Halsall, who as his website puts it is redefining spiritual jazz for the next generation... His thoughtful and refined style draws on the foundations laid by greats like Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders.

As it happens, via another connection, I have been listening on and off to Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders: I like some of their music, but the noisier parts of Sanders' music don't resonate with me. So at least I can understand the reference. 

As hinted above, the first track that I heard by MH was 'Together', which is a beautiful piece of slow music punctuated here and there by an unobtrusive accompaniment. First a saxophone plays a solo (not knowing that MH is a trumpeter, I thought that this was him), then a trumpet and finally harp (that's the Alice Coltrane connection). 

This is very much midnight music, and as there don't appear to be many tunes, it serves as excellent background music while I am working. This is not to denigrate this beautiful music.

This music - at least for me - is much much better than that Miles Davis character, although I suspect that if I play this for any 'real' jazz fans, they won't appreciate its beauty. If this is jazz, then I'm all for it!



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
9419/07/2007What I did at work todayProgramming, ERP, Thermal printers
74019/07/2014Statistics with SQL (Firebird)Programming, Delphi, SQL, Firebird, Statistics
96419/07/2016When the music's overDCI Banks, Peter Robinson
124319/07/2019Making the Greece holiday videoHoliday, Home movies, Andros, Athens, Greece

No comments: