Saturday, July 08, 2023

Revisiting my weight history and a surprising conclusion

In the process of storing the HTML code for this blog, yesterday I read an entry dating from just after we returned from Greece in 2019: On 8 Feb 2019 I weighed 83.0 kg and on 15 March I weighed 82.8 kg: I thought that this was the heaviest I have ever been but checking my records, I see that on 4 Oct 2013 I apparently weighed 85 kg! Obviously I must have done some dieting for my weight went down to 78.5 kg by 31 May 2014. This morning I weighed myself and apparently I now weigh only 77.9 kg which means that I have lost 5 kg since February. My BMI is now less than 30 which is very good news. I wonder how much more weight I can lose ... and not regain.

Obviously that weight loss didn't last long, as by January 2023 I weighed over 85 kg again; I now weigh 81.3 kg. Upon reading that blog, I asked myself what has changed. The most obvious change is the diagnosis of primary hyperaldosteronism that leads me to take certain medications. Exactly two years ago, on the morning of my father's funeral, I saw an endicrinologist who changed some of my blood pressure medication and started me on something new. Almost overnight I saw my weight increase by 2 kg!

The book 'The fatburn fix' starts off with short case histories of several patients of the book's author, Dr Catherine Shanahan, and how their situations improved after changing their diets (no vegetable fats, more saturated fat). I suspect that those case histories display what is known as the selection bias, aka cherry picking the data (see section 4.5 of my doctoral thesis). One does not read about the people who followed Dr Shanahan's recommendations but did not see any improvement. Anyway, this got me wondering as to what might have caused the hyperaldosteronism; presumably at some time I didn't have it, although I don't subscribe to the notion that this hormone imbalance appeared the moment it was diagnosed.

Obviously the direct cause of hyperaldosteronism is too much aldosterone and not enough renin, but the question that I asked myself last night was what caused the reduction (or failure) in renin production? This morning I searched for the terms 'primary hyperaldosteronism metabolic syndrome', and up popped several papers whose lead author is one Francesco Fallo from the University of Padova. I couldn't access one very interesting paper of his, but I did manage to download one entitled 'Prevalence and Characteristics of the Metabolic Syndrome in Primary Aldosteronism'1 from 2006. I shall read this with interest. I also intend to send it to my nephrologist: in my appointment with him last week, I asked him whether metabolic syndrome has any effect on primary hyperaldosteronism (or vice versa). He wasn't aware of any such effect.

My hypothesis is that my prediabetic state from 2019 caused some level of metabolic syndrome that put metaphorical pressure on my body, causing the suppression of renin, causing a rise in blood pressure, causing ..... According to this hypothesis, if I can reduce the level of metabolic syndrome then I should see an improvement in my blood pressure (this has definitely happened) that may lead to the removal of the renin suppression that will lead to .... I see this as a cycle as displayed in the following graphic


If the text is illegible, it reads Lower blood sugar > Relieve metabolic syndrome > Relieve renin suppression > Reduce hyperaldosteronism > Relax dietary restrictions for potassium > Lower blood sugar.

That's the hypothesis. How can I test this? I will continue my dietary improvements for another few months, hopefully with a few more monthly blood tests, then I will ask for a repeat renin/aldosterone test. If these results show an improvement then I could reduce the dosage of spironolactone, that increases the level of potassium in my blood. Obviously, I require the participation of my GP and possibly the neprologist, but I have to do the work (i.e. improve my diet).

To think that all this started from an innocent question three months ago as to how the lemon-line flavoured water that the kibbutz shop used to sell (they have yet to restock) could advertise itself as having zero calories.



This day in history:

Blog # Date Title Tags
43 08/07/2006 The Equatorial Stars King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Peter Hammill, Eno, Equitorial stars, Paul Simon
378 08/07/2011 Locarno log (4) Holiday, Switzerland
496 08/07/2012 That's why God made the radio The Beach Boys
961 08/07/2016 New smartphone Mobile phone


[1] Fallo, F., Veglio, F., Bertello, C., Sonino, N., Della Mea, P., Ermani, M., Rabbia, F., Federspil, G. and Mulatero, P. (2006): "Prevalence and characteristics of the metabolic syndrome in primary aldosteronism", The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 91(2), pp.454-459.

No comments: