Sunday, September 12, 2021

The next stage in the aldosterone saga

I wanted to make an appointment to see my nephrologist as he had been sent the results of the AVS test. To my surprise, I could make the appointment for today, a week before I am supposed to be seeing the endocrinologist in the hospital (I may well cancel this appointment). 

I have been left without one of the medicines that I had been prescribed for lowering my blood pressure; this was prescribed by the endocrinologist in place of one of the medicines that the nephrologist had prescribed. I don't want to assign any personal motives to the nephrologist, but he did take the opportunity to restore the medication that he had prescribed instead of what the endocrinologist prescribed. I still have some of these medicines in stock, so I'll take them until I can get a new prescription from my family doctor, who is supposed to be in charge of the process.

The nephrologist also prescribed a month of spironolactone that is the primary treatment for hyperaldosteronism. Unfortunately, both this medication and those that are being restored are liable to increase the potassium level in my blood; normally this is considered good, but as at the moment my potassium levels are quite high (but still in the allowed range), this means that I run the risk of having too high a potassium level, leading to heart problems. I'll do a blood test in the next few days (problematic because of the Jewish holidays) before I start to establish a base level, then again after a month to see what effect the drug has had.

So now I have to try and eat a low potassium diet: primarily this means no pumpkin, no bananas, no tomato sauce, no peanut butter and no milk! I can still have my yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, but no slice of bread with peanut butter; I'll replace this with an omelette. I will have to stop drinking the nut flavoured milk and drink more water, or maybe 'almond milk'. Looking at the list, there is a contradiction, as milk can be found both in the list of foods with high potassium and in the list of foods with low potassium. Unfortunately no value for potassium is listed on the nut milk bottle. I'll finish all my stocks during the coming week before I start the spironolactone.

No comments: