Saturday, September 04, 2021

(Yet another) New chicken dish

I don't remember whether I actively looked for this recipe or simply happened to find it: a new variation on chicken and rice. The recipe that I have is in Hebrew, so I won't bother with the link.

  1. Brown the chicken pieces (I used 10 drumsticks) with olive oil in a pan for about 8 minutes. I have my doubts about the need for this stage, as browning drumsticks is not the same as browning cubes of beef, because of the shape.
  2. Move the chicken pieces to a side dish, then fry a large diced onion in the pan using the same oil.
  3. When the onion is nearly done, add two chopped tomatoes and optional spices. I used paprika, cumin and oregano, but I think that I'll skip this next time. I also added frozen green runner beans to the pan. I think that I intended to add parsley, but I forgot.
  4. After a few minutes of cooking the vegetables, return the chicken to the pan.
  5. Add two cups of chicken broth (I used chicken soup powder dissolved in water) and cook until boiling.
  6. Add one cup of rice (I used basmati) and two cups of water. This seems to be too much water, because of the two cups in the previous stage; I think that a total of three cups would probably be sufficient.
  7. Cover the pan and continue cooking in an oven at 170°C for 40 minutes.
After placing the pan in the oven, I took the dog for a walk then had a brief cold shower. By the time I had finished, the cooking time was up. The result: a bit soggy (due to the extra water) and possibly a bit too greasy (the olive oil) but otherwise very tasty. 

I won't post a picture of what I cooked because it looks a bit like something the dog brings up, but it's much better than it looks! The picture on the left is from the original article: here, chicken thighs have been used as opposed to drumsticks. Also the rice looks somewhat different.

No comments: